History of St. Walburg
In 1907 Rudolph and Walburga Musch came from Minnesota and set up a general store about 3 miles south and 2 miles east of present day St.Walburg. The homesteaders, immigrants from Europe and USA, now had a place to socialize and buy supplies. The Musch's hauled his merchandize from the railhead at Paynton, a 3 day round trek. Old St.Walburg boomed, a blacksmith shop, a cafe, a poolroom, a Bank of Commerce, and a flour mill.
In 1919 the railroad was coming to NW Saskatchewan, but it missed St.Walburg. The new train station was built 5 miles away. The town of St.Walburg was packed up and moved. Most buildings were skidded to the 'End of the Rail'. Thanks to the foresight of our pioneers, St.Walburg was here to stay.
The land was divided into lots and sold by the Canadian Northern Railway. Within a year the town had grown to 216. The railroad was completed to St.Walburg in 1921. St.Walburg became known as 'the end of the rail'. By 1922 , the community had 3 general stores, a hardware store, a drug store, a garage, 2 livery stables, a restaurant and 30 room hotel. Farming was the main industry of the new town. A creamery and a meat market opened to market products. Over the years farming and ranching were the main industries in the area.